Old information from maliit.org Needs to be updated.
Before you start, make sure you have access to the infrastructure. This is needed to be able to make releases
- 0. Check that the Buildbot is green, indicating that we are ready for release
- 1. Update the NEWS file
- NEWS template:
To list all commits since the last release you can do:
For the list of fixes you can use something like:
See man git-log for more options.
- 2. For framework and plugins, bump version numbers in VERSION file
- git commit message:
For normal releases, just bump the package version
For major releases/interface breaks, the following would need to be updated. These are very rare.
- MALIIT_INTERFACE_VERSION: libmaliit (application) interface version
- MALIIT_PLUGINS_INTERFACE_VERSION: C++ plugins interface version
MALIIT_PLUGINS_QUICK_INTERFACE_VERSION: Qt Quick/QML plugins interface version
- 3. Create the tarballs
- 4. No-op
- 5. Upload tarballs and .md5 files to http://maliit.org/releases/maliit-framework/ and http://maliit.org/releases/maliit-plugins/
- 6. Upload documentation to http://maliit.org/doc/framework/latest and http://maliit.org/doc/plugins/latest
- 7. Update packages in M17N:Maliit OBS
This script is found in the maliit-buildbot-configuration repository, and requires osc.
To do the steps manually use either the web interface or the “osc” commandline client.
- Upload new source tarballs
- Update version number in package-name.spec
- Reset release version number to 0 in package-name.spec
Add changelog entry to package-name.spec: Updated to upstream version x.y.z See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Packaging for documentation on OBS.
- 8. Create (signed) git tag
Witty release names are only requires for bigger version jumps (x or y changes), not for minor releases (z or smaller changes).
- 9. Push the tag to master. Warning: Make sure the tag is correct first!
Keep in mind that a git tag is tied to a specific commit id. If you rebase your branch, then the commit id’s will most likely change, meaning that your git tag will point to an old commit id. You will have to delete the tag and create a new one, in that case.
10. Update the ‘latest’ branches to point to the new tags.
- 11. Update the Maliit recipes in Launchpad
This script is found in the maliit-buildbot-configuration repository, and requires launchpadlib.
To do the same manually, go through every single recipe and, update the upstream version number in the “Recipe Contents” (bottom of page).
- 12. Write the release notes (see template below) and send them to the appropriate mailing lists.
Always send the announcement to maliit-discuss and maliit-announce. Include non-Maliit lists only if there is a significant change relevant for the subscribers of that list.
- 13. Update the list of releases.
Release notes template
Use the template below to write release notes.